Get Relief for TMJ Pain and Migraines
Do you suffer from migraines or migraine-type headaches? Does your jaw feel tight or produce a clicking noise every time you open your mouth? Suffer from neck pain or frequent earaches? Tell your dentist!
Headaches and facial pain often originate from your temporomandibular joint (TMJ) and can be addressed and eliminated through a series of treatments, including Botox.
Contact us to schedule a consultation. Or let your hygienist know about this issue during your next routine visit and we’ll discuss next steps.
Frequently asked questions
What is TMJ disorder?
The TMJ is the joint that allows you to speak and chew normally. Temporomandibular joint disorder (TMD) is caused by problems in your jaw, facial muscles, and joints
What are the symptoms of TMJ disorder?
- Chronic headaches and migraines
- Jaw joint pain or locking
- Clicking sound in your jaw
- Discomfort while chewing
- Ear and sinus pain
What causes TMJ disorder?
- Your jaw disk erodes or moves out of proper alignment
- The cartilage of your TMJ is damaged by arthritis
- Damage caused by a blow or other impact
- Teeth grinding (bruxism) or clenching
- Certain connective tissue disorders
How to treat TMJ pain in Liberty
Botox is one of our most-recommended treatments for TMJ disorder. Tight muscles are often the cause or a contributing factor to your TMJ issues. Botox relaxes your jaw muscles, eliminates tension in your mouth, and prevents grinding and clenching.
Thanks to Botox treatment, many of our patients are now headache free after decades of suffering. Even if your migraines or headaches are more complex and involve more than just your muscles, Botox can eliminate the portion of your pain that comes from these muscles and might offer you some relief from your suffering.
Other TMJ treatment options
- Occlusal Splints — Custom-made and advanced “night guards” prevent clenching and reposition your jaw to a more favorable and comfortable position.
- Invisalign — If a bite issue is the cause of your TMJ pain, we may recommend Invisalign to fix the alignment of your jaw.
- Surgery — In rare situations, you may require a more advanced surgical treatment to correct the issue. If that’s the case, we can refer you to someone who can provide the care you need.
What to expect from your TMJ disorder diagnosis and treatment
If you’re dealing with jaw pain or headaches, let us know. We’ll…
- Ask you questions to learn as much as possible about what’s bothering you. Our goal is to understand the location, onset, timing, and aggravating factors of your TMJ pain and migraines.
- Conduct a gentle TMJ evaluation, including observation, range of motion tests, joint palpation, and facial muscle exam.
- Take 3D x-rays to help visualize what’s going on in your mouth and jaw.
- Recommend treatment options, including outlining cost and what to expect
We want to help relieve your pain and get more enjoyment out of life. Nothing makes our team happier than helping you put your best smile forward every day.
Enjoy the Jackson Family Dental approach to care
Warm & welcoming staff
100% personalized care
Schedule your visit
Find out if Botox or other treatment can help relieve your TMJ pain. Call (816) 429-5799 to schedule your consultation today.